History of Phi Lambda Phi Sorority
Portions contributed by Dianne Mulqueen Sullivan, President 1963
Phi Lambda Phi Sorority was founded in May of 1959 and is a local sorority recognized by the State University of New York College at Oswego. The sorority was originally located on 54 West Fifth Street, in the Franklin Square Historic District of Oswego, 2 blocks from the shores of Lake Ontario. In recent years, the house was purchased by private owners and beautifully restored to its former glory. SUNY Oswego was founded as a teacher’s college, and celebrated its centennial in 1961. Oswego is known as “the friendly campus on the lake.”
The Professors of SUNY Oswego are known for their encouragement of academic excellence, independent thinking, and leadership in their students.
Phi Lambda Phi sorority was formed during a time of progressive social development on campus. There was an emerging Civil Rights movement and SUNY Oswego embarked on a campaign to encourage women into leadership roles. Phi Lambda Phi sorority embraced these social changes, encouraging diversity and empowerment among its members.
“Phi Lamb” has 29 active members and 1000+ alumnae. The sorority is a non-profit social organization dedicated to the achievement of lifetime friendships, appreciation of diversity, and personal & professional development.
The sisters of Phi Lambda Phi would like to thank you for visiting our site.